Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Ice Galaxies


 









Coming across these frozen bubbles was such an intriguing find.  It's actually kind of comical how much time I will spend photographing something like this.  I spent probably close to 30 minutes getting these two photos.  One reason is the composition... it takes a while to find a pleasing composition within so much chaos.  Another reason, in this case, was the focus.  I literally had my camera sitting on the surface of the ice, pointed straight down, resting on the lens hood.  This normally easily allows the camera to focus.  This time, however, it was very tricky.  

I was starting to get really frustrated when finally I realized the surface of the ice had a very slight layer of frost on it.  After about 10 seconds of rubbing the frost off with my gloved hand, the camera easily focused.  Out of about 30 images that I made, these two were my favorite.  Each one represents an area of only about 3 or 4 inches across.  So these bubbles were pretty small!  



No comments: