Sunday, August 9, 2020

Celestial Storm

 











Last night was pretty incredible!  I went for a short bike ride just before it got dark and noticed a thunderstorm building on the horizon.  Lightning was flashing fairly frequently from within the clouds. After shooting a few videos with my phone I realized that even though it was already well past sunset, the clouds were still holding a lot of color.  Then I thought... why am I sitting here with my phone trying to take pictures?  I should go get my Nikon! 


After running home to get the GOOD camera gear, I found a place to set up that provided a nice, clear view of the sky. It was getting pretty dark now but I could still see faint color in the clouds.  Once my first 30 second exposure was complete, I was shocked to see how much color was still in the clouds!  For about the next hour I stood there taking photo after photo, trying to capture the lightning but also catching the constant yet subtle changes in the clouds. 


The storm was moving incredibly slowly and where I was standing it was very calm.  The faintest of breezes caused the occasional ripple on the surface of the water. Every now and then thunder rumbled softly in the distance. It was beautiful, mysterious, powerful and peaceful all at the same time. 



No comments: