Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Imaginarium

















This is what the sky looked like directly overhead during the geomagnetic storm in the early morning hours of June 23rd.  The lights were going so strongly straight up in the sky for so long that I was really appreciating the tilting LCD screen of my Nikon D750 camera!  I had my camera pointed straight up for 15 to 20 minutes and during that time the lights were changing constantly as I made one exposure after another.  

In a sequence of over 100 photos pointed at the same spot in the sky, I ended up with over 100 completely unique shots.  The patterns and shapes were different in each image, despite there only being a second or two between each shot.  That's how fast the lights were changing.  

It was a mind-blowing experience to witness such a strong aurora storm.  I believe these types of images really spark the imagination.  For example, when I first viewed this photo I immediately saw a large bird swooping down from the top of the photo.  You might see something completely different.  I'd love to hear how your imagination speaks to you when you view this image!

No comments: