Friday, June 19, 2015

Caribou Falls


























On Wednesday of this week I spent a good part of the day exploring with my camera and one of the places I visited was Caribou Falls, a beautiful waterfall that is a half-mile hike from Highway 61 along a very nicely maintained trail.  I have been to Caribou Falls several times before but wasn't really prepared to photograph it well.  In order to get the "best" angle on the falls for photography, you need to walk in the water and cross the river to the opposite side from where the trail puts you.  This is not difficult, as the water is shallow, but I was always reluctant to cross it wearing shoes and pants.  This time I was wearing shorts and sandals so crossing was no problem at all.  

It really is worth it to get your feet wet, as the view from the west side of the river is much nicer than the view from the east.  When viewing from the east side you really don't get the full sense of how the waterfall widens at the bottom.  Since I was there in the middle of the day when the sun is the highest and brightest, I used a 6-stop graduated ND filter to block enough light so that I could make a long enough exposure to blur the movement of the water.  

No comments: