Saturday, September 9, 2023

Moody Skies over Valley of the Gods


 









My time in the Valley of the Gods of southern Utah this past June was pretty unforgettable.  My goal with each night of that trip was to see and photograph the Milky Way from a location with an interesting foreground. While there is no shortage of interesting foregrounds in southern Utah, not all interesting foregrounds work well for Milky Way photography.  Valley of the Gods definitely works, though. There are lots of interesting formations to photograph with the Milky Way rising behind/above them. When I arrived at the valley before sunset, however, the sky was completely socked in with clouds.  I thought that perhaps this night would be a bust for a star-filled sky.  About 3:00 AM, however, the clouds did begin to part and by 3:15 I was able to make a nice photograph of the Milky Way. 



No comments: