Friday, May 6, 2016

The bears are out!
















 
After work yesterday I went for a fat bike ride just across the border into Canada from where I work. However, the route I had planned to do ended up being impassable about 4 miles in so I had to turn around.  Since my ride was shorter than planned, I had some extra time so I decided to drive all the way through Arrow River Road.  Along the way I saw SEVEN bears!  They were all very skittish and the sight lines along Arrow River Road are very good, so they saw me coming and scattered long before I could get close enough to get a good picture.  Only in one instance, where I crested the rise of a hill and saw two bears, was I able to get a photo of one of them.  

As soon as I came over the hill, I saw the two bears foraging along the edge of the road.  They immediately turned and ran, but ran into the woods on opposite sides of the road from each other.  I knew there was a good chance that if I sat and waited one of them would cross the road to join the other.  Sure enough, after only 2 or 3 minutes of waiting, that is exactly what happened.  That's when I made this photo.  It was cool to see so many bears in one evening along the same road.  I also saw a porcupine and a lot of ruffed grouse. I wish I had seen the porcupine early enough to get a good photo of him.  When I saw him I was on my way home and it was getting pretty dark, too dark to get a photo.  Still, he was cool to see as well!

No comments: