Friday, June 20, 2014

Sandhill Crane colt with parent at Crex Meadows

















As much as I enjoyed watching and photographing the various families of swans at Crex Meadows, the highlight of my day was seeing a pair of Sandhill Cranes with a young colt.  I have been traveling to Nebraska every spring for the past 7 years to photograph the cranes which is an amazing spectacle but you don't see the colts there since they aren't nesting yet.  I wasn't sure if I would ever see one in person so I was absolutely thrilled to see this family during my visit to Crex Meadows Wildlife Area in Grantsburg, Wisconsin!  At first when I came across these cranes all I could see were the adults.  I had been watching them a few moments when all of a sudden the head of the little colt popped up from the grass!  The young crane was so small that he only showed up every now and then when he got into a patch of grass that was shorter than him.  I only saw the colt for less than a minute but it was long enough to get one good shot.  After that he was back in the tall grass and I never saw him again.  I feel extremely fortunate not only to have seen the colt but also to have walked away with this shot!  

No comments: